An honest (and humorous) look at the ups and downs in the life of a first-time mom

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Tortilla Soup

I love soup. And not like normal people love soup. I luuuuurve soup. Soup in the morning, soup for lunch, soup for dinner, soup at brunch! Winter, spring, summer, fall...I refuse to limit myself to only eating soup when the weather takes a turn for the chili (hahahaha...sorry, could not resist)!

Another thing I love? Kohl's Cares. (Ok - I love Kohl's in general, but I shall not digress) Kohl's Cares is this great program through Kohl's where you can buy kids books & paired stuffed animals for $5 apiece (like The Wizard of Oz & a stuffed Toto) and 100% of the proceeds go to charity. Sounds like a win/win deal to me!! They do sell things other than kids books & stuffed animals, which we recently discovered...

A few months ago, we got a crockpot recipe book from Kohl's as part of the Kohl's Cares program. Some of the recipes have been good, others great, and others...well, they will be great by the time I finish tweaking them a bit.

Last night we tried the Tortilla Soup and it was amazing. Not just amazing, but I can't stop eating this even though I am stuffed and feeling vaguely ill amazing. Yeah, that good. And the best part? It was sooooooo easy. Some crockpot recipes want you to do a whole slew of things before you can actually st back and smell your dinner cooking all day long. Those are nice and all, but I am so down for the quick & easy recipes w/minimal effort on my part (especially during the week when I am prepping dinner by myself in the morning while trying to entertain a 14-month-old and keep him from maiming himself).

I wish I had taken pictures...but I didn't so you will have to live with words :)

TORTILLA SOUP

Ingredients:

2 cans (about 14 oz. each) chicken broth
1 can (about 14 oz.) diced tomatoes with green chilies
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 cups chopped cooked chicken (optional)

Directions:

1. Combine broth, tomatoes, carrots, corn, onions, tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder in a crockpot/slow-cooker. Cover; cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.

2. Stir in chicken, if desired. Ladle into bowls.

3. Serving suggestions: Top with shredded Monterey Jack cheese and/or crushed tortilla chips.

**NOTES**

1. Yes, the carrots seem strange...I thought so too. They are good though :)
2. I didn't thaw my frozen corn (gasp!)...I figured it was going into a slow cooker and would be fine. It was.
3. I used a tsp. of garlic powder because more garlic is always better :)
4. I cooked my chicken w/a little of the soup broth and some more chili powder and cumin before adding it.
5. The Monterey Jack cheese and crushed tortilla chips took the soup from delicious to divine!!


I hope you give this super easy recipe a try! It was delicious and has earned a spot in our permanent collection!!

Let me know what you think of the recipe :) Also, feel free to share any delicious crockpot recipes you have up your sleeve! I am always looking for new things to try!!

Have a great day, my friends! {HUGS}

***UPDATE***
I completely forgot to mention that I also added some cooked brown rice to the soup when I added the cooked chicken! I love adding brown rice to soup to thicken it up a bit (I am a fan of THICK soup).

2 comments:

  1. Pork loin roast seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper add a bottle of BBQ sauce and a can of pineapple (juice and all). Cook for 6-8 hours shred with forks and serve on rice or in sandwhiches.

    Pork loin roast and a jar of salsa verde and a cup of regular salsa. Cook for 6-8 hours, shred with forks and serve on tortillas topped with onions and cilantro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! These sound delicious!! I just found a great recipe for pork loin medallions cooked w/cranberry sauce. I am planning on giving it a go next weekend and will pass it on if it is a success! Thanks Jenell!!

      Delete